• ⚠️ Maintenance will be performed on the forums for the next couple of days. Expect some downtime. 🔧

Mangadex "Failed to load image, tap to reload" Rant/Question

Joined
Dec 1, 2019
Messages
1
In the months since Mangadex being founded, this issue, coupled with red boxes on the gray timeline on the overlay showing a cascading failure for the rest of the images in the chapter, has been my personal greatest irritation and complaint with the services provided.

What can I do, if anything, to mitigate this on my end? I am incensed to no end when this happens, and I have to delay my reading from at minimum 5 minutes to worst case scenario 1 hr 13 min (Feb 2020, when attempting to read YuYuHakusho) to let something I have no knowledge of "fix" itself so I can continue reading.

If the issue stems from site overload, and there is a financial cure, please provide members of the public SOME way to bolster Managdex's resources. I saw plans to delve into cryptocurrency and will not be participating in anything in regards to that, but due to my career can easily donate a monthly amount. I understand legality and gray-area being a huge issue when it comes to manga translations and scanning as a whole, hence the interest towards cryptocurrency.
 
Old chapters will always load slower due to caching. And if you happen to be in the SEA area where their CDN has poor connectivity as referenced by the announcment box.
 
It is common for images on this site to be 200+ kb. this is very large for a single image. as an example, I looked up a manga on this site and mangakakarot and the same image (and as far as I can tell, very similar quality) were 100kb. Half the size for a negligible quality loss.

it seems to me that mangadex is a great site. but even with exceedingly good internet it still takes a while to load some files ( and sometimes multiple retries ).
I think it's great that you guys offer source quality images.
Here is my proposal (if it is not obvious already)

add an option to ya'll exceedingly good settings page for lower quality images, and have a lower quality set by default, I found even 25% acceptable.
at 25% an image that was 254KB became 59KB.
tradeoffs:
pros:
lower bandwidth
more in cache at a time
bad internet friendly (mobile)
cons:
development time ( wouldn't be too hard with a good middleware, depends on ya'lls backend)
more server processing on main path on cache miss. OR more storage for multiple image qualities. (storage is cheap so is likely the better option)

I really want to use this site, but the load time just isn't good enough. I hope this can help you guys lower your load times without raising your costs.
also, I love the preload images, it helps a lot with the load problem.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top